The Hanen Parent Program, It Takes Two to Talk, is for the parents of children who have a language delay. It is appropriate for the parents of children whose development ranges from using no language, to those who are beginning to use two word combinations.
The program is free of charge to all District residents with children under the age of 3 years who have a documented language delay.
From the Hanen website:
The It Takes Two to Talk Program teaches you, step-by-step, how to become your child’s most important language teacher. The program shows you how to:
- Recognize your child’s stage and style of communication so that you know which steps to take next
- Identify what motivates your child to interact with you so you’ll know how to get conversations started
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns and keep interactions going
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Add language to interactions with your child to help him understand language and then use it when he is ready
- Tweak the way you play and read books with your child to help him learn language
- Change the way you speak to your child so that he’ll understand and learn new words